A delicious way to bake with whole grains!
Nutty rye flour pairs well with fragrant coconut
- 12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 egg whites
Preheat oven to 350° and place a rack in the center. Butter and flour a 12-muffin tin. In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, coconut, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, coconut milk, and egg whites. Gently fold butter mixture into flour mixture.
To make topping: In a small bowl, mix together topping ingredients; set aside.
Spoon batter into muffin cups and scoop about 1 Tbsp. reserved topping on each muffin. Bake 35 to 45 minutes, rotating pan halfway through, until muffin springs to the touch. Twist out muffins and place on their sides in tin to cool.