For the perfect holiday dinner rolls, look no further than your favorite bread recipe. With a few quick adjustments, you can make your everyday bread look and taste just a little more special than usual, and you can freeze them ahead of time to save time on the big cooking day.
Prepare the Dough
We use our standard Bosch bread recipe, but you can apply any of these tips to your own recipe as well.
1. Replace the oil with melted butter for richer flavor.
2. Increase the honey or sugar to make the dough a little sweeter. Add up to 50% more honey or sugar.
3. Switch the type of flour or use a combination of flours for a lighter texture.
- Replace up to half of the hard wheat flour with soft wheat flour (aka pastry flour)
- Replace up to 1/4 of the hard wheat flour with oat flour. To make oat flour, grind whole oat groats (NOT rolled oats) in your NutriMill grain mill. Or, use a blender to pulse rolled oats into flour.
- Use kamut or spelt instead of wheat flour. These flours both make a very soft dough, but their different protein structure tends not to hold fancy shapes as well as wheat rolls do. They’re wonderful for basic round rolls or bread sticks.